Top 5 Tips For Beginners!
If you are new to weight training, it can be difficult to know where to start.
Here are our top 5 tips to get you going!
- Start slowly - if you try to lift too heavy, or do too much, in your first few sessions, not only can you risk injury, but you will be very sore in the following few days! You don’t want to be put off before you really get into it.
- Get Your Form Right - get perfect form with light weights before trying to increase the weight. Great form is essential to prevent injury and maximise the effectiveness of each workout. Watch yourself in the mirror, check out some youtube videos, even film yourself to make sure it’s right.
- Learn Compound Movements - Squats, dead lifts, push ups and pull ups, lunges, overhead press - these will work many muscles at once, help your core strength and you will see changes quicker than using isolation movements.
- Commit to Training - At least three days a week are needed to make progress - and it can take a couple of months to see differences - don’t be disheartened if you don’t see changes instantly, keep going.
- Take Photos and Measurements - The scale is not your friend! Lifting can increase muscle mass so you may not lose weight. However muscle is denser than fat so as you build muscle and lose fat, you can look different and have different measurements but weigh the same. Comparing pictures is the best way to see your progress.
Now stop reading and get lifting!!